Search for glossary terms (regular expression allowed)
Begin with Contains Exact term
Term Definition
Bleach Plant

A part of the pulp mill where chemicals are used to brighten the pulp. Our bleach plant has a five-stage bleaching sequence.

Bleached High Density Storage

A tile chest used to store bleached pulp at 10-12% consistency.

Blend Chest

A tile chest where hardwood, softwood, broke and various additives are mixed before going to the machine.


(1) A defect arising in paper when dried too quickly on the drying cylinder or when the felts are not in good condition, leaving air between the felt and the sheet. (2) A blister may also occur between two plies of a cylinder board owing to lack of ply adhesion. Also called air bells, blow, bubbles. (3) A defect in coated paper which results when it is subjected to a high temperature during the drying of ink on high-speed heat-set presses; this defect is generally caused by excessive moisture, use of excessive heat on the press, or coating through which (4) A rapid test for papers such as glassine or greaseproof made from highly hydrated pulps. These papers develop blisters when exposed to the flame of a match or candle just enough to char the sheet very slightly.moisture vapor will not readily pass.


A mechanical device used to provide movement of a fluid while increasing the energy of the fluid by elevation of pressure and velocity.

Boil Out

A procedure used to clean the paper machine pipes and chests to remove stock, slime, etc.

Bond Paper

"(1) The name ""bond"" was originally given to a paper which was used for printing bonds and stock certificates. It is now used to refer to paper used for letterheads and many printing purposes. Important characteristics are finish, strength, no fuzz, and rigidity. (2) A classification of paper grade. Bond paper is used for letterheads and other printing papers. Important characteristics are finish, strength, no fuzz, and rigidity."

Bonding Strength

The resistance of a coated or uncoated paper to picking or lifting of its surface fibers, or splitting of the paper while being printed.

Bone Dry

Pulp that is moisture free.

Bottom Wire

The term bottom wire is used on the twin wire former. It is the same as a regular wire on a fourdrinier.

Bowed Roll

A fixed or variable bowed roll used for spreading.


A term used to denote a tear in a roll of paper which occurs while the paper machine is running. Such breaks are generally spliced and marked by a protruding flag.

Breast Roll

(1) The roll on the fourdrinier or former which serves as a support for the fabric and to seal off the head box slice. (2) A large diameter roll around which the fourdrinier wire passes at the machine head box just at or ahead of the point where the stock is admitted to the wire by the stock inlet. It is covered with corrosion- resistant metal or fiberglass and is usually driven by the fourdrinier wire.


(1) An optical property of paper which compares the brightness of the paper to opaque glass. (2) Judgment of the amount of light reflected to the eye from the surface of paper, irrespective of hue or saturation of the color.


(1) Paper that has been discarded anywhere in the manufacturing process. It is usually returned to the broke pulper for reprocessing. (2) Paper trimmings of damaged paper from the machine or finishing rooms. Usually returned to beaters for re-processing into saleable paper.


The list of allocated funds by department for mill expenses to be incurred during a certain time period, usually one year.

Buffer Solutions

Chemical solutions used to obtain a known pH and to calibrate pH meters.


Term used to denote the thickness of a sheet or relative thickness according to the basis or substance weight of the sheet. A bulky sheet refers to one lacking compactness, resulting in a lighter weight for a given thickness.

Bursting Strength

"Resistance of paper to rupture under pressure, as indicated in pounds per square inch on a Mullen or ""pop"" tester."


Cathode Ray Tube used to display data from a computer.